In light of the current outbreak of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, ActivLives is following strict government guidelines. Our main office at Brightspace closed on Monday 23rd March 2020, with all staff working remotely and continuing to do so until it is safe to return.
As many of you are aware, events and face-to-face meetings have had to be cancelled or postponed. All of our falls prevention sessions, inclusive sport activity, singing groups, Lunch Clubs, specialist Hubs, Health Walk, ActivSheds and our Sudbury Garden Project have had to close and our Community Gardens at Maidenhall Allotments and Chantry Park are also closed to the general public.
All our projects are on hold at the moment and will re-start as soon as it is safe to do so. We will be keeping in touch with our members and volunteers by phone to make sure they are alright and if they need any help.
I would like to thank all of our Staff, volunteers and also our Freelance Staff for their dedication and support during this difficult time. We hope that our volunteers and Freelance Staff will be able to return very soon to start-up all our fantastic activities again, when it is safe to do so.
We want people to stay connected and as active as possible while they are having to self-isolate at home, so please visit our website www.activlives.org.uk for up to date information and participate in a variety of activities that will keep your mind and body active over the coming weeks. There are exercise videos that can be done safely at home – https://activlives.org.uk/activhome/, weekly quizzes, singing videos on our Facebook page – facebook.com/activlives and we are currently working on a fun reminiscence, arts and photography project. So please have a look at the ActivLives website and Facebook page.
ActivLives will be up and running as soon as we can and we hope that everyone stays safe and well in these unprecedented times.
Due to the risk of Coronavirus, we have been advised by the NHS to close all of our hubs this week.
Some venues have decided to close before we could have this weeks session, but we’re trying our best to let all members that it effects know.
ActivGardens is currently unaffected. If anything changes, we will try and let all members & volunteers know ahead of time.
If you have any queries, please call us on 01473 345350.
As our long-term members would know, most of our hubs have a break in the summer.
This lets you all have a bit of a break – as well as our staff!
The instructor will tell you when the last session is, and when the first one back is – but here’s a handy list just in case you forget!
|St Mary Stoke
|Oasis Lunch Club
||Closed on 27th August and 24th September
If you can’t find your hub, or have any other queries – be sure to give us a call on 01473 345350.
Local charity ActivLives is celebrating being awarded almost £10,000 in National Lottery funding to support its work keeping older people active and connected in their community. ActivLives is based on Hadleigh Rd in Ipswich
and provides a wide range of preventative activities across the town and in East Suffolk to support inactive older people, become active. The funding will support existing activity, new taster sessions, a sports festival and a half day Sports Leadership course for members and volunteers to encourage more people aged 50 plus to ‘have a go’ at a wide range of inclusive sport sessions.
Everyday Activ-Ipswich now runs 14 sessions across Ipswich, attended by 200 people each week. The sessions provide a range of accessible and inclusive sports such as walking football, Boccia, New Age Kurling, Ping Pong, ActivYoga, ActivStretch, Bowls and Badminton that enable people of all abilities to take part in a sport and reduce loneliness and social isolation by providing opportunities for people to get out and about and meet and make new friends.
The new funding from The National Lottery Community Fund, which distributes money raised by National Lottery players for good causes and is the largest community funder in the UK, will see more people aged 50 years and over participating in inclusive sport activities and attending sessions in North West Ipswich.
ActivLives will also be working closely with the North West Ipswich Big Local Trust and other local organisations to reach and engage more older residents living in the area.
Mike McCarthy, Everyday Activ – Ipswich Manager says: “We are absolutely delighted to have received this funding which will help ActivLives to sustain, and further develop, our Everyday Activ programme in the NW area of Ipswich. The aim is to encourage more adults to get involved with ‘easy to access’ sport and physical activity and, through this, to promote increased physical and mental well-being. We are also planning to provide some Sports Leadership training to those who would like to help others to become more active in the area – it’s an exciting time for the project!”
A member said, “This is excellent news. At least while we are all here playing Kurling, we aren’t filling up the doctor’s surgeries are we? More people should come and give it a try.”
Next week is ‘Move Suffolk Week’ and to help to celebrate this we are holding our ‘ActivFriends Week’.
We are involved with several events next week including:
- Saturday 18th May (10-4pm), Special Olympics Eastern Region Badminton Tournament at Gainsborough Sport Centre, Ipswich, IP3 0SP. The third hosting of this event in Ipswich with competitors coming from as far afield as Exeter, Lincoln, Birmingham, Southampton, Bournemouth, London and Scotland. There will also be a strong Suffolk team competing for the medals. Please note – this is for spectators only as entries are now closed for this event. Refreshments will be available.
- Monday 20th May (11-12), ActivLives Health Walk in Christchurch Park, Ipswich, IP4 2BX. 45-60 minutes comfortable walking in this beautiful town park. Meet at the Soane Street entrance at 10.45am. The group is approximately 25-30 in number – this is a great way to get some exercise, enjoy the park in spring and meet some lovely people. FREE – New participants welcome.
- Tuesday 21st May (4.30-6), Inclusive Boccia Taster at Gainsborough Sport Centre, Ipswich, IP3 0SP. This event is particularly aimed at anyone over the age of 14, who has a learning disability and would like to try this great sport. FREE to new participants.
- Wednesday 22nd May (10-3), The Golden Games at Whitton Sport Centre, Ipswich, IP1 6LW. This event is focussed on promoting well-being through memories. Helping to tackle dementia, depression, loneliness and isolation through sport and physical activity. Activities available include: Ping Pong, Kurling, Boccia Seated Dance and Short Mat Bowls. FREE – all welcome. (Flyer attached to this email).
- Monday 20th-Friday 24th May (inclusive) ActivLives ‘ActivFriends Week’. All this week ActivLives are inviting new participants to come and try one of their weekly inclusive sport and physical activity sessions held in Ipswich as part of the Everyday Activ-Ipswich programme. All of these sessions are particularly targeted at those who are over 50 years old (no upper age limit!), who don’t currently exercise regularly. Activities include Beginners Yoga (Mon/Weds), Short Mat Bowls (Tues), Badminton (Tues), Ping Pong & Short Tennis (Weds), Boccia, (Mon/Thurs) and Walking Football (Thurs/Fri).
All of these sessions offer a free taster to new participants throughout this week.
For more details about any of the above events please call on 01473 345350 or email email@example.com