Closing date: Friday 6th April 2018 Interviews: Tuesday 17th April 2018
Start date: Monday 23rd April 2018
Where you’ll be working : Mainly the People’s Community Garden, Maidenhall Allotments and the CRESS Pavilion, Ipswich, Suffolk IP2 8RE, but also Chantry Walled Garden, Chantry Park, and possibly on outreach projects in and around Ipswich.
ActivGardens are lively, inspiring and very busy community sites which support people to lead an active, healthy life, learn and share skills, and contribute to their community. Our projects work with a wide range of people, including long-term unemployed, people experiencing mental ill health, depression and anxiety, people with disabilities, older people, and refugees and asylum seekers.
We run a schools programme working with children of all ages, including those who find it difficult to learn at school. Our core Volunteer Team helps with the day to day maintenance of ActivGardens.
What you’ll be doing :
Main role: Assisting staff to help run our gardens and associated projects.
Your role will involve:
- Assisting staff in organising and running the day
- Working alongside the people we support to help them get the most out of their sessions
- Helping run group sessions, including school groups and groups of young people
- Gardening/ conservation tasks alongside volunteers
- Assisting in organising and running monthly community market and café
- Assisting in planning and preparation for our major event: the Big Garden Party on Saturday 21st July 2018
- Contributing to development of the gardens and its projects
- Option to get involved with woodworking/ carpentry, cooking, beekeeping, other specialisms
You will gain skills in:
- Working with a wide range of people, including people with needs; children and young people; refugees and asylum seekers
- Public engagement
- Gardening and horticulture
- Nature conservation and beekeeping (optional)
- Events organisation
The time you need to give:
We are looking for a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week, for a six-month period. The internship will begin the week of 16th April, and finish on Friday 12th October 2018, with the possibility of extension.
The skills you need: We are looking for a team player with a positive, friendly attitude and excellent communication skills, who enjoys working with people of all ages and abilities. We need someone with an active, hands-on approach, with a willingness to tackle a wide range of garden-related and other tasks. Gardening/ horticultural experience will be an asset, but good organisational skills are as important.
- Experience of working or volunteering with people with needs is desirable but not essential.
- Experience of working or volunteering with children and young people is desirable but not essential.
- Skills associated with woodwork, nature conservation, cooking/ hospitality / catering, community education/ teaching, PR / events, will be an advantage.
- You may be able to contribute a specialist craft skill (eg flower arranging, art, crafts etc – please let us know!) – we are open to new ideas and projects.
What you’ll get out of it: This position is suitable for someone who enjoys working with people and who has a keen interest in community gardening/ food growing projects and/ or nature conservation. You will gain experience of working in the charity sector as part of a diverse, award-winning community project. The project will contribute to local travel costs.
Contact details: Please email your CV and covering letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) to Susannah Robirosa, ActivGardens Development Manager firstname.lastname@example.org, detailing your availability, experience and why you would like to join our project. Alternatively, please post to ActivLives, Brightspace, 160 Hadleigh Road, Ipswich IP2 0HH. If you have any questions, or would like an informal chat about the role, please call Susannah on 07530 407302 or ActivLives 01473 345350.
All applications must be received by Friday 6th April 2018.