A wonderful selection of crafts, plants, seasonal arrangements and produce will be on offer at our festive market, all made or grown at ActivGardens.
- CRESS Community Market and Café is Friday 6th December
- 10am till 12.30pm
- At the CRESS Pavilion, Halifax Road, Ipswich IP2 8RE
Young people from a partner academy will be behind the serving hatch at our community café, with seasonal goodies they have made.
There will be fresh produce to help keep you healthy throughout the winter, all grown at the community garden.
Pansies, viola and wallflower grown at Chantry Walled Garden will be available to brighten up your garden and pots.
ActivSheds’ hedgehog homes, bird boxes and bird feeders will make wonderful gifts to help our wildlife through the winter.
ActivLives community singing group ‘Keep on Rockin’ will be in full voice on this special occasion.
Every pound you spend with us will go into our gardening, construction, beekeeping and nature conservation programmes for the whole community, including long-term unemployed, people with learning disabilities, older people with dementia, members of minority ethnic communities, and young people.
So why not come and join us and pick up some original gifts for a greener Christmas! It’s a great chance to have a chat and cuppa too – accompanied by a delicious homemade cake! For further details, or if you would like to hold a stand at the event, please contact ActivLives on 01473 345350 or Susannah on 07530 407302 or email email@example.com
If you are looking for a new direction in 2020 – how about taking part in a free outdoor-based learning programme at ActivGardens, part of local charity ActivLives?
‘Grow Your Future’ will enable you to learn new skills and gain confidence on your way to further opportunities and employment.
The 12-week scheme will include garden maintenance, horticulture and environmental conservation, with a chance to get involved in specialist activities such as woodworking or bee-keeping.
Grow Your Future is for anyone aged 16+ who is unemployed or economically inactive, and encourages people who face barriers to work – such as a disability, health condition, or caring responsibilities.
The programme is funded by the European Social Fund and the Education & Skills funding Agency, and administered by LIFT Community Grants ‘Local Investment in Learning Paths to Work’.
- If you would like to find out more, please come along to our open day on Thursday 23 January from 1pm to 3pm at the People’s Community Garden, Maidenhall Allotments, Halifax Road, Ipswich IP2 8RE. There will be hot drinks and food, and a chance to look around the gardens and speak to members of our friendly team.
Please contact Susannah on 07530 407302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or ActivLives on 01473 345350 to find out more or to register your interest. The first session will start on Monday 3 February.
Our stalls will be bursting with freshly picked fruit, vegetables and plants grown at our community gardens as part of our produce market on Friday 11th October 2019, at the CRESS Pavilion, Halifax Road, Ipswich IP2 8RE, from 10am to 12.30pm.
There will also be a delicious selection of cakes and snacks made by young people from one of our partner schools, together with tea, coffee and other refreshments, at the CRESS Café.
ActivSheds will have plenty of items for sale to help wildlife through the winter, including insect hibernacula and hedgehog homes.
Come and share the bounty, meet your neighbours, have a chat, and treat yourself to a cuppa and cake. Feel free to wander round the community garden too!
- SPECIAL EVENT: As part of the Aldeburgh Food Festival Fringe, we are running a Bee Safari to explore our wild area and beekeeping project at 12 noon. Cost: £10 – Booking essential as places are limited.
There is parking on site and in surrounding roads. The CRESS Pavilion is fully accessible with a disabled toilet.
The last CRESS market 2019 is the Christmas special on Friday 6 December.
For more information, or if you would like to hold a stand or get involved, please contact ActivGardens Development Manager Susannah Robirosa on 07530 407302 or email email@example.com or Danny Thorrington on 07532 794173 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. ActivLives office can be reached on: 01473 345350.
- More information:
ActivGardens are part of Ipswich-based charity ActivLives.
- The People’s Community Garden, Maidenhall Allotments, Halifax Road, Ipswich IP2 8RE, has vegetable plots, a heritage orchard, sensory garden, wildlife areas and herb spiral. The project enables people of all ages and abilities to get active, learn skills and contribute to their community. It has a diverse volunteer base and works with schools and young people.
- Historic Chantry Walled Garden, Chantry Park, Hadleigh Road, Ipswich IP2 0BS, has flower borders and vegetable growing areas, extensive glasshouses, and a courtyard garden designed for wheelchair users, enabling older people to carry on gardening. Young people on work placement learn about horticulture here and volunteers from the local community help tend the garden and grow plants.
- We have an additional community project in Sudbury’s parks and green spaces.
- Volunteers and placements are welcome at both sites, by arrangement.
ActivLives are holding an autumn plant sale at:
Chantry Walled Garden, Chantry Park, Ipswich IP2 0BS
on Thursday 12th September 2019 from 10.30am to 2.30pm
There will be a selection of bee- and butterfly-friendly perennial plants on offer, with a chance to look around this lovely walled site.
Tea, coffee and cakes will be available at Nursery Cottage – so join us for a cuppa and chat to find out more about what we do.
We offer placements and volunteering opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. For more information, please contact Development Manager Susannah Robirosa 07530 407302 or email email@example.com.
Our current projects are:
- Grow Your Skills – building confidence and skills in young people transitioning from school/ college into work
- Carry On Gardening! – gardening activities for older people, including sessions for people living in residential care homes.
If you would like to book a bespoke visit or activity session, please contact
Project Co-ordinator Lesley Hartley via ActivLives office 01473 345350 firstname.lastname@example.org
For details of location and to find out more about our projects, please visit: www.activlives.org.uk/activgardens
As our long-term members would know, most of our hubs have a break in the summer.
This lets you all have a bit of a break – as well as our staff!
The instructor will tell you when the last session is, and when the first one back is – but here’s a handy list just in case you forget!
|St Mary Stoke
|Oasis Lunch Club
||Closed on 27th August and 24th September
If you can’t find your hub, or have any other queries – be sure to give us a call on 01473 345350.
ActivGardens: ActivSheds Session Leader
Closing date: Friday 17th May 2019 Interviews: Friday 24th May or by appointment
Initially: Five sessions Mondays 10th June to 8th July inclusive 1pm to 4pm (clients to arrive around 1pm for lunch break and session to run 1.30-3.30pm)
- We hope to add a second session on Monday mornings for people who need a level of support to access the project (for example, older people with dementia, disabilities or special needs)
Rate: £45 per half day session
Where you’ll be working: ActivSheds project, at the CRESS Pavilion (an ActivGardens project near the People’s Community Garden)
Halifax Road, Ipswich, Suffolk IP2 8RE.
ActivGardens are lively, inspiring and very busy community sites which support people to lead an active, healthy life, learn and share skills, and contribute to their community. Our projects work with a wide range of people, including long-term unemployed, people experiencing mental ill health, depression and anxiety, people with disabilities, older people, and refugees and asylum seekers. We run a schools programme working with children of all ages, including those who find it difficult to learn at school. Our core Volunteer Team helps with the day to day maintenance of ActivGardens.
What you’ll be doing:
Main role: Leading sessions for up to six people referred by Suffolk Refugee Support, supported by a translator. We hope to offer a supported session to other client groups, as above.
Your role will involve:
- Organising and resourcing the sessions within budget
- Planning and administration – session plan, record attendance, brief summary of learning/ achievements/ client feedback after each session
- Leading the sessions
- Generating a friendly, positive atmosphere and encouraging communication and integration between members of the group and the wider team
- Working alongside placements to enable them to engage in woodworking and basic construction as part of the ActivSheds project and wider volunteer team
- To help participants develop their own ideas for projects and bring to fruition
- Directing ActivGardens volunteers where necessary/ appropriate
- Health and Safety – session leader is expected to maintain safe working environment/ safe working practices at all times, including safe use of machinery. Group H&S induction will be carried out at first session, supported by ActivLives and Suffolk Refugee Support.
You will gain skills in:
- Leading sessions
- Working with refugees and asylum seekers and other client groups
- Working as part of a thriving community project
- Administration and organisation
You will need a DBS check and an up to date certificate in the following:
- First Aid
- Health and Safety
- Training available through ActivLives
You will need the following practical skills:
- Carpentry, woodworking, construction and DIY skills to a very good level
- Safe and competent use of power tools and electric machinery
- Administrational skills
- Basic IT
Personal qualities: you will be –
- A team player with a positive, friendly attitude and excellent communication skills
- Someone who enjoys working with people and is sensitive to the needs of target client groups
- Experience of working or volunteering in a community-based setting and/ or with people with needs is desirable but not essential.
What you’ll get out of it: This position is suitable for someone with a passion for carpentry and construction, who enjoys working with people and passing on their skills. You will gain experience of working in the charity sector as part of a diverse, award-winning community project.
The sessions may be extended beyond the initial five afternoon sessions to include morning sessions/ other groups.
To apply: Please email a covering letter (no more than one side of A4) explaining why you would like to be considered for the role, together with your CV, to Susannah Robirosa, ActivGardens Development Manager email@example.com, Alternatively, please post or drop in to ActivLives, Brightspace, 160 Hadleigh Road, Ipswich IP2 0HH.
If you have any questions, or would like an informal chat about the role, please call Susannah on 07530 407302 or ActivLives 01473 345350.
All applications must be received by Friday 17th May 2019.