Our stalls will be bursting with freshly picked fruit, vegetables and plants grown at our community gardens as part of our produce market on Friday 11th October 2019, at the CRESS Pavilion, Halifax Road, Ipswich IP2 8RE, from 10am to 12.30pm.
There will also be a delicious selection of cakes and snacks made by young people from one of our partner schools, together with tea, coffee and other refreshments, at the CRESS Café.
ActivSheds will have plenty of items for sale to help wildlife through the winter, including insect hibernacula and hedgehog homes.
Come and share the bounty, meet your neighbours, have a chat, and treat yourself to a cuppa and cake. Feel free to wander round the community garden too!
- SPECIAL EVENT: As part of the Aldeburgh Food Festival Fringe, we are running a Bee Safari to explore our wild area and beekeeping project at 12 noon. Cost: £10 – Booking essential as places are limited.
There is parking on site and in surrounding roads. The CRESS Pavilion is fully accessible with a disabled toilet.
The last CRESS market 2019 is the Christmas special on Friday 6 December.
For more information, or if you would like to hold a stand or get involved, please contact ActivGardens Development Manager Susannah Robirosa on 07530 407302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Danny Thorrington on 07532 794173 or email email@example.com. ActivLives office can be reached on: 01473 345350.
- More information:
ActivGardens are part of Ipswich-based charity ActivLives.
- The People’s Community Garden, Maidenhall Allotments, Halifax Road, Ipswich IP2 8RE, has vegetable plots, a heritage orchard, sensory garden, wildlife areas and herb spiral. The project enables people of all ages and abilities to get active, learn skills and contribute to their community. It has a diverse volunteer base and works with schools and young people.
- Historic Chantry Walled Garden, Chantry Park, Hadleigh Road, Ipswich IP2 0BS, has flower borders and vegetable growing areas, extensive glasshouses, and a courtyard garden designed for wheelchair users, enabling older people to carry on gardening. Young people on work placement learn about horticulture here and volunteers from the local community help tend the garden and grow plants.
- We have an additional community project in Sudbury’s parks and green spaces.
- Volunteers and placements are welcome at both sites, by arrangement.
ActivLives are holding an autumn plant sale at:
Chantry Walled Garden, Chantry Park, Ipswich IP2 0BS
on Thursday 12th September 2019 from 10.30am to 2.30pm
There will be a selection of bee- and butterfly-friendly perennial plants on offer, with a chance to look around this lovely walled site.
Tea, coffee and cakes will be available at Nursery Cottage – so join us for a cuppa and chat to find out more about what we do.
We offer placements and volunteering opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. For more information, please contact Development Manager Susannah Robirosa 07530 407302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our current projects are:
- Grow Your Skills – building confidence and skills in young people transitioning from school/ college into work
- Carry On Gardening! – gardening activities for older people, including sessions for people living in residential care homes.
If you would like to book a bespoke visit or activity session, please contact
Project Co-ordinator Lesley Hartley via ActivLives office 01473 345350 email@example.com
For details of location and to find out more about our projects, please visit: www.activlives.org.uk/activgardens
As our long-term members would know, most of our hubs have a break in the summer.
This lets you all have a bit of a break – as well as our staff!
The instructor will tell you when the last session is, and when the first one back is – but here’s a handy list just in case you forget!
|St Mary Stoke
|Oasis Lunch Club
||Closed on 27th August and 24th September
If you can’t find your hub, or have any other queries – be sure to give us a call on 01473 345350.
Local charity ActivLives is celebrating being awarded almost £10,000 in National Lottery funding to support its work keeping older people active and connected in their community. ActivLives is based on Hadleigh Rd in Ipswich
and provides a wide range of preventative activities across the town and in East Suffolk to support inactive older people, become active. The funding will support existing activity, new taster sessions, a sports festival and a half day Sports Leadership course for members and volunteers to encourage more people aged 50 plus to ‘have a go’ at a wide range of inclusive sport sessions.
Everyday Activ-Ipswich now runs 14 sessions across Ipswich, attended by 200 people each week. The sessions provide a range of accessible and inclusive sports such as walking football, Boccia, New Age Kurling, Ping Pong, ActivYoga, ActivStretch, Bowls and Badminton that enable people of all abilities to take part in a sport and reduce loneliness and social isolation by providing opportunities for people to get out and about and meet and make new friends.
The new funding from The National Lottery Community Fund, which distributes money raised by National Lottery players for good causes and is the largest community funder in the UK, will see more people aged 50 years and over participating in inclusive sport activities and attending sessions in North West Ipswich.
ActivLives will also be working closely with the North West Ipswich Big Local Trust and other local organisations to reach and engage more older residents living in the area.
Mike McCarthy, Everyday Activ – Ipswich Manager says: “We are absolutely delighted to have received this funding which will help ActivLives to sustain, and further develop, our Everyday Activ programme in the NW area of Ipswich. The aim is to encourage more adults to get involved with ‘easy to access’ sport and physical activity and, through this, to promote increased physical and mental well-being. We are also planning to provide some Sports Leadership training to those who would like to help others to become more active in the area – it’s an exciting time for the project!”
A member said, “This is excellent news. At least while we are all here playing Kurling, we aren’t filling up the doctor’s surgeries are we? More people should come and give it a try.”
Next week is ‘Move Suffolk Week’ and to help to celebrate this we are holding our ‘ActivFriends Week’.
We are involved with several events next week including:
- Saturday 18th May (10-4pm), Special Olympics Eastern Region Badminton Tournament at Gainsborough Sport Centre, Ipswich, IP3 0SP. The third hosting of this event in Ipswich with competitors coming from as far afield as Exeter, Lincoln, Birmingham, Southampton, Bournemouth, London and Scotland. There will also be a strong Suffolk team competing for the medals. Please note – this is for spectators only as entries are now closed for this event. Refreshments will be available.
- Monday 20th May (11-12), ActivLives Health Walk in Christchurch Park, Ipswich, IP4 2BX. 45-60 minutes comfortable walking in this beautiful town park. Meet at the Soane Street entrance at 10.45am. The group is approximately 25-30 in number – this is a great way to get some exercise, enjoy the park in spring and meet some lovely people. FREE – New participants welcome.
- Tuesday 21st May (4.30-6), Inclusive Boccia Taster at Gainsborough Sport Centre, Ipswich, IP3 0SP. This event is particularly aimed at anyone over the age of 14, who has a learning disability and would like to try this great sport. FREE to new participants.
- Wednesday 22nd May (10-3), The Golden Games at Whitton Sport Centre, Ipswich, IP1 6LW. This event is focussed on promoting well-being through memories. Helping to tackle dementia, depression, loneliness and isolation through sport and physical activity. Activities available include: Ping Pong, Kurling, Boccia Seated Dance and Short Mat Bowls. FREE – all welcome. (Flyer attached to this email).
- Monday 20th-Friday 24th May (inclusive) ActivLives ‘ActivFriends Week’. All this week ActivLives are inviting new participants to come and try one of their weekly inclusive sport and physical activity sessions held in Ipswich as part of the Everyday Activ-Ipswich programme. All of these sessions are particularly targeted at those who are over 50 years old (no upper age limit!), who don’t currently exercise regularly. Activities include Beginners Yoga (Mon/Weds), Short Mat Bowls (Tues), Badminton (Tues), Ping Pong & Short Tennis (Weds), Boccia, (Mon/Thurs) and Walking Football (Thurs/Fri).
All of these sessions offer a free taster to new participants throughout this week.
For more details about any of the above events please call on 01473 345350 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
ActivGardens: ActivSheds Session Leader
Closing date: Friday 17th May 2019 Interviews: Friday 24th May or by appointment
Initially: Five sessions Mondays 10th June to 8th July inclusive 1pm to 4pm (clients to arrive around 1pm for lunch break and session to run 1.30-3.30pm)
- We hope to add a second session on Monday mornings for people who need a level of support to access the project (for example, older people with dementia, disabilities or special needs)
Rate: £45 per half day session
Where you’ll be working: ActivSheds project, at the CRESS Pavilion (an ActivGardens project near the People’s Community Garden)
Halifax Road, Ipswich, Suffolk IP2 8RE.
ActivGardens are lively, inspiring and very busy community sites which support people to lead an active, healthy life, learn and share skills, and contribute to their community. Our projects work with a wide range of people, including long-term unemployed, people experiencing mental ill health, depression and anxiety, people with disabilities, older people, and refugees and asylum seekers. We run a schools programme working with children of all ages, including those who find it difficult to learn at school. Our core Volunteer Team helps with the day to day maintenance of ActivGardens.
What you’ll be doing:
Main role: Leading sessions for up to six people referred by Suffolk Refugee Support, supported by a translator. We hope to offer a supported session to other client groups, as above.
Your role will involve:
- Organising and resourcing the sessions within budget
- Planning and administration – session plan, record attendance, brief summary of learning/ achievements/ client feedback after each session
- Leading the sessions
- Generating a friendly, positive atmosphere and encouraging communication and integration between members of the group and the wider team
- Working alongside placements to enable them to engage in woodworking and basic construction as part of the ActivSheds project and wider volunteer team
- To help participants develop their own ideas for projects and bring to fruition
- Directing ActivGardens volunteers where necessary/ appropriate
- Health and Safety – session leader is expected to maintain safe working environment/ safe working practices at all times, including safe use of machinery. Group H&S induction will be carried out at first session, supported by ActivLives and Suffolk Refugee Support.
You will gain skills in:
- Leading sessions
- Working with refugees and asylum seekers and other client groups
- Working as part of a thriving community project
- Administration and organisation
You will need a DBS check and an up to date certificate in the following:
- First Aid
- Health and Safety
- Training available through ActivLives
You will need the following practical skills:
- Carpentry, woodworking, construction and DIY skills to a very good level
- Safe and competent use of power tools and electric machinery
- Administrational skills
- Basic IT
Personal qualities: you will be –
- A team player with a positive, friendly attitude and excellent communication skills
- Someone who enjoys working with people and is sensitive to the needs of target client groups
- Experience of working or volunteering in a community-based setting and/ or with people with needs is desirable but not essential.
What you’ll get out of it: This position is suitable for someone with a passion for carpentry and construction, who enjoys working with people and passing on their skills. You will gain experience of working in the charity sector as part of a diverse, award-winning community project.
The sessions may be extended beyond the initial five afternoon sessions to include morning sessions/ other groups.
To apply: Please email a covering letter (no more than one side of A4) explaining why you would like to be considered for the role, together with your CV, to Susannah Robirosa, ActivGardens Development Manager email@example.com, Alternatively, please post or drop in to ActivLives, Brightspace, 160 Hadleigh Road, Ipswich IP2 0HH.
If you have any questions, or would like an informal chat about the role, please call Susannah on 07530 407302 or ActivLives 01473 345350.
All applications must be received by Friday 17th May 2019.