Get Out There!, funded by Public Health Suffolk, offers a range of gardening, conservation and other activities at the People’s Community Garden and Chantry Walled Garden.
Participants in the project will be able to get active in the gardens’ vegetable plots, plant nurseries, orchard and herb spiral, as part of a friendly volunteer team, guided by staff.
There are also opportunities to get involved in conserving an urban wild space at our Bee Meadow and learn about beekeeping, cook and process what we grow in our community kitchen, and take part in our monthly produce market at the CRESS Pavilion.There is a growing body of evidence to show the positive health outcomes, both mentally and physically, for people who garden and grow their own food, or who access a park or green space on a regular basis.
- Reduce stress and depression
- Alleviate symptoms of illnesses
- Increase physical activity and contribute to maintaining a healthy weight
- Help people make friends and feel part of their community
- Provide access to locally grown, fresh produce and help people increase consumption of fruit and vegetables
- Improve attitudes to healthy eating and cooking from scratch with fresh produce
- Introduce a way of life to help people improve their wellbeing in the longer term
For more information or to take part in or make a referral to Get Out There!, please call ActivLives on 01473 345350 or Project Co-ordinator Jo Whittle on 07760 583950.