ActivGardens: ActivSheds Session Leader
Closing date: Friday 17th May 2019 Interviews: Friday 24th May or by appointment
Initially: Five sessions Mondays 10th June to 8th July inclusive 1pm to 4pm (clients to arrive around 1pm for lunch break and session to run 1.30-3.30pm)
- We hope to add a second session on Monday mornings for people who need a level of support to access the project (for example, older people with dementia, disabilities or special needs)
Rate: £45 per half day session
Where you’ll be working: ActivSheds project, at the CRESS Pavilion (an ActivGardens project near the People’s Community Garden)
Halifax Road, Ipswich, Suffolk IP2 8RE.
ActivGardens are lively, inspiring and very busy community sites which support people to lead an active, healthy life, learn and share skills, and contribute to their community. Our projects work with a wide range of people, including long-term unemployed, people experiencing mental ill health, depression and anxiety, people with disabilities, older people, and refugees and asylum seekers. We run a schools programme working with children of all ages, including those who find it difficult to learn at school. Our core Volunteer Team helps with the day to day maintenance of ActivGardens.
What you’ll be doing:
Main role: Leading sessions for up to six people referred by Suffolk Refugee Support, supported by a translator. We hope to offer a supported session to other client groups, as above.
Your role will involve:
- Organising and resourcing the sessions within budget
- Planning and administration – session plan, record attendance, brief summary of learning/ achievements/ client feedback after each session
- Leading the sessions
- Generating a friendly, positive atmosphere and encouraging communication and integration between members of the group and the wider team
- Working alongside placements to enable them to engage in woodworking and basic construction as part of the ActivSheds project and wider volunteer team
- To help participants develop their own ideas for projects and bring to fruition
- Directing ActivGardens volunteers where necessary/ appropriate
- Health and Safety – session leader is expected to maintain safe working environment/ safe working practices at all times, including safe use of machinery. Group H&S induction will be carried out at first session, supported by ActivLives and Suffolk Refugee Support.
You will gain skills in:
- Leading sessions
- Working with refugees and asylum seekers and other client groups
- Working as part of a thriving community project
- Administration and organisation
You will need a DBS check and an up to date certificate in the following:
- First Aid
- Health and Safety
- Training available through ActivLives
You will need the following practical skills:
- Carpentry, woodworking, construction and DIY skills to a very good level
- Safe and competent use of power tools and electric machinery
- Administrational skills
- Basic IT
Personal qualities: you will be –
- A team player with a positive, friendly attitude and excellent communication skills
- Someone who enjoys working with people and is sensitive to the needs of target client groups
- Experience of working or volunteering in a community-based setting and/ or with people with needs is desirable but not essential.
What you’ll get out of it: This position is suitable for someone with a passion for carpentry and construction, who enjoys working with people and passing on their skills. You will gain experience of working in the charity sector as part of a diverse, award-winning community project.
The sessions may be extended beyond the initial five afternoon sessions to include morning sessions/ other groups.
To apply: Please email a covering letter (no more than one side of A4) explaining why you would like to be considered for the role, together with your CV, to Susannah Robirosa, ActivGardens Development Manager email@example.com, Alternatively, please post or drop in to ActivLives, Brightspace, 160 Hadleigh Road, Ipswich IP2 0HH.
If you have any questions, or would like an informal chat about the role, please call Susannah on 07530 407302 or ActivLives 01473 345350.
All applications must be received by Friday 17th May 2019.