ActivGardens is launching a new learning and skills programme at the People’s Community Garden, Maidenhall Allotments, Halifax Road, Ipswich IP2 8RE to inspire young people and help move them on to the world of work.
Starting next term (September 2020), it will consist of half-termly (five-week) programmes, giving young people a chance to learn hands-on in a safe outdoor environment.
The programme will be steered by a Level 6 qualified careers professional, with 20 years’ experience of working with young people, offering a range of activities in gardening and horticulture, nature conservation and beekeeping, woodworking and construction, cooking and crafts.
Schools can choose from a menu of activities to help achieve the required Gatsby Benchmarks 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 specified in the Statutory Careers Guidance (October 2018). Please see attached table for examples of activities offered.
The scheme will enable young people to:
- learn practical skills, gain work experience, and take on leadership/ organisational roles in a project embedded in the local community
- develop competencies such as working as a team, good communication, and being willing to take on and understand responsibility
- build self-esteem, gain confidence, and feel pride in their achievements
- develop friendships and form social networks
- contribute to the local community.
More info can be found in our previous newsletter – www.activlives.org.uk/activlives/activlives-april-2020-newsletter
Cost: £100 per two-hour session for up to 6 students for course of five sessions per half term.
Introductory taster session offer – £50
We can also offer bespoke horticultural/ environmental sessions at your school site.
For further information, or to look around our gardens, please contact:
Fundraising and Development Manager Susannah Robirosa on 07530 407302 or 01473 345350 firstname.lastname@example.org